2023 F.I.R.E. Conference Studio Assistant Application
Reports To: Foundry Operations Manager
Work hours will be between 8:30am to 9pm, Wednesday-Sunday. The number of hours per day and the number of days per week are not flexible.
Applicants will receive waived registration fees, free onsite camping, all conference provided meals, and are encouraged to make their own molds during slow work times. All material costs are the responsibility of the applicant.
Description of F.I.R.E. and Its Mission
The Foundry Invitational and River Exhibition (F.I.R.E.) is a conference for metal casting artists to utilize the Metal Museum’s Foundry. The conference includes a specialized workshop with a guest artist, greensand workshop, and independent mold making. The Museum’s foundry uses green sand, resin sand, and ceramic shell as mold making techniques. Equipment includes furnaces to pour aluminum,
bronze, and iron, many sizes of flasks and flask making materials, as well as pattern making tools and small woodshop.
This conference offers an intimate group of artists, both professional and emerging, the resources to create new work, learn new techniques and molding applications, and to connect with other artists in the casting community.
Purpose of the Assistantship
Assists Foundry Operations Manager, Workshop instructors, conference attendees with tasks related to the F.I.R.E. Conference.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Assist Foundry Operations Manager with conference preparation and execution.
2. Assist workshop instructors with workshop needs.
3. Assist the Museum Education Coordinator with daily conference operations and communications.
4. Assist conference attendees with materials needs
Experience is required. Applicant must provide any foundry experiences including higher education classes, special workshops, previous internships/residencies, or any iron pour of which they were a participant.
• Experience with molding methods including green sand, resin bonded sand, and ceramic shell
• Ability to use power equipment such as angle grinders, Vertical Bandsaws, pneumatic hand tools
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
• Knowledge and experience pouring cast iron, aluminum, bronze
• Punctuality and ability to work in a fast paced environment
• Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
• Heavy physical effort which may include lifting up to 75 lbs
To apply as a Studio Assistant to the Annual F.I.R.E. Conference 2023 at the Metal Museum, please fill out the application form below.
For any questions, please contact:
Foundry Operations Manager
Deadline for submitting applications is March 15th , 2023.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance no later than March 30th.